Ever since the advent of the light bulb, bulbs have been…well…pretty darn basic – either on or off. 95% of the time bulbs were white. Boring. Then came CFL lights followed by LED lights. Are you ready to add a little color to your life and save electricity at the same time? Illuminate your life with an ilumi LED smartbulb.
ilumi LED smartbulb
Billed as the ‘world’s smart light’, the ilumi LED smartbulb is a color tunable LED light that you can control using a simple and free phone app (available on iOS and Android). Because the ilumi LED smartbulb uses more eco conscious LED lighting technology, the bulb is said to be five times more efficient than a standard light bulb. LED lights are also longer lasting and can last 10-15-20 years depending on daily usage. All of this translates into greater efficiency and reduced waste.
So how did ilumi come to be?
Build a better mouse trap bulb
Back in 2010, University of Texas at Dallas MBA students Swapnil Bora and Corey Egan set out to create a better light bulb. Their ah ha/light bulb moment came when their prototype (what would become the ilumi LED smartbulb) won first place in the university’s annual Business Idea Competition. Fast forward to 2013.
Bora and Egan successfully crowdsourced over $200,000 though Indiegogo and Kickstarter helping bring their vision of a better light that much closer to a reality. The two inventors even pitched their smartbulb on ABC’s Shark Tank.
More than just a light
The ilumi LED smartbulb is much more than simply an LED light that can change color (although this feature has ample possibilities). The ilumi LED smartbulb can also be used in security and notification capacities. Feature include;
- Sync the light to pulse with the beat of your music
- Wake up naturally with a scheduled sunrise to start your day
- Create, save, and replay your favorite lighting scenes with one touch
- Let your light make it look like someone’s home, even if you’re not
- Control individually or as a group with built in -Bluetooth LE wireless meshing
Installation is a snap — simply screw it into your lighting outlet just like any other bulb.
So go ahead — throw that disco party you’ve been dreaming of.
Latest posts by Earth911 (see all)
- 6 Tips For Creating And Maintaining A Paperless Workplace - April 6, 2015
- The Natural Choice For Natural Wellness - April 6, 2015
- Add Some Color To Your World With ilumi’s LED Light - March 16, 2015