Recently, Earth911.com hosted a discussion on Twitter in conjunction with Rubbermaid’s Spring Into Organization five-day Twitter chat. Our challenge was to work with the organizing gurus at Rubbermaid to find out more about how people recycle at home and some of the questions they may have.
The response to our chat was fantastic, as more than 700 tweets were sent with the #rubbermaid hashtag during the hour-long discussion.
If you’re short on time (or simply don’t want to read 700 tweets, which is understandable), we’ve compiled some of our favorite tips, suggestions, ideas and challenges for your perusal.
1. Do you recycle? What do you like or not like about it?
– Textiff: We recycle by composting! our compost bin is an old dog house! so we have recycled it, too!
– Sweetone624: Yes we do recycle, upset our complex does not have bins or pickup
– 3carnations: We recycle. I love that we have half the trash we used to, and seeing the two big paper bags of recycled material each week.
2. What frustrates you about the recycling process in your home?
– Sethandshannon1: Never enough room in recycle bin!
– Lstyle22: The recycle bin is much further than my trash can which is in a more convienent spot (mabye i should just move it 🙂
– Asmithonline: Finding a place for it all frustrates me. Everything has to be seperate and I dont have much extra space to store it all
3. Do you know what you can recycle? Does your family know?
– Beachdreaming4: We have a sign on the re fridge by the garbage can of what can be rycled and what can’t be from our city.
– Tonysopranogirl: Yes our kids are very excited to recycle and remind us even when we forget!
– Pobrokefolk: We can recycle most anythng, GLASS is the exception and im frustrated about that
– Dopeymouse05: I try to avoid throwing anything away…I love that Best Buy now recycles giftcards! Awesome!
4. Where do you put your recyclables before you take them to the curb?
– Zebastyandylan: I actually have a “donation closet ” with bins so I can keep track of what I donate.
– RubbermaidTwo: I keep a bag in my car for plastic bottles so I can throw them in my recycling bin when i get home
– Lolamichele: We have bins in the garage where we keep everything. we don’t have curb pick up though. we have to drop it off.
5. What is your #1 tip to get your household involved in recycling?
– Madly59: We made a game of it w/our girls, each day whoever adds the most to any bin gets points for weekly prize
– Pontowd: Make it fun..we get cash for our metals and they get to go to Dairy queen for icecream
– Madly59: Have signs telling people what to recycle. My old roommate did this & we cut trash by a 1/3!
– Zebastyandylan: My husband runs a paper recycling facilty so my kids have seen 1st hand how much recycling means
6. What’s your favorite product to reuse for organization?
– Tonysopranogirl: Reuse cereal boxes cut diagonally to store magazines I want to keep! I decorate them &everything!
– Sdiego1717: My newpapers ( i only get weekends) We rip them into shreds to use in the iguana’s enclosure
– Crouton13: I recycle old food jars into containers to hold my dried beans or baking supplies
– RubbermaidErin: Spaghetti jars for interesting glass cups (I’m from the south) and to heat up water for sweet tea!!
– RubbermaidTwo: Someone in our office collected Yogurt Cups for baby seeds for her garden
Can Tweeting Change the World?