Shopping at thrift stores, secondhand boutiques and garage sales in your area is a great way to avoid buying new items – saving both cash and virgin resources. Buying secondhand also helps prevent useful items from heading to the landfill, which carries obvious environmental benefits. But, as any thrift store addict will tell you, secondhand finds can often pile up quickly before you find a way to repurpose them. To give you a helping hand in your reuse revolution, Earth911 assembled this list of common thrift store finds, along with more clever and crafty ways to reuse them.
1. 20 Creative Ways to Reuse Milk Jugs
Image courtesy of Eighteen 25.
2. 7 Ways to Reuse and Recycle Old Pillows
Image courtesy of Kim Love
3. Cheers: 8 Ways to Reuse Wine Corks
Image courtesy of Christina B Castro
4. 10 Ways to Reuse and Repurpose Bed Sheets
Image courtesy of Cama
5. 10 Simple Reuse Projects in 30 Minutes or Less
Image courtesy of Dollar Store Crafts
6. 5 Fun Ways to Reuse Shampoo Bottles
Join 24,000+ Recyclers
Here at Earth911 HQ we're all about living green and clean. If that's what you're searching for then you'll love our weekly email!
7. 7 Ways to Reuse an Aluminum Pie Pan
Image courtesy of Happy Krissy
8. 10 Creative Ways to Reuse Office Supplies
Image courtesy of Jeremy Brooks
9. 8 Ways to Reuse Your Cans
Photo: Amanda Wills, Earth911.com
10. 8 Ways to Reuse an Old T-Shirt
Image courtesy of reb
11. 6 Ways to Reuse Plastic Bottles
SOME VARIATIONS INCLUDE CUTTING A BOTTLE LENGTHWISE TO CREATE A CLUTCH PURSE. ALONG THOSE LINES YOU COULD FIND A TWO LITER BOTTLES AND MAKE A LARGER POCKET BOOK. PHOTO: PARIS TSITSOS FOR ZITTA SCHNITT DESIGNS
Homepage photo: Sibylle/Funkytime
Based in the Phoenix metro area, Mary is a lifelong vegetarian and enjoys outdoor activities like hiking, biking and relaxing in the park. When she’s not outside, she’s probably watching baseball. She is a former assistant editor for Earth911.
Latest posts by Mary Mazzoni (see all)