Dreaming of dining barefoot in the park or feasting with silky sand beneath your toes? Before you head off to frolic in the summer sun with picnic basket in hand, be cognizant of your personal impact. Try these sustainable swaps when planning your next green picnic:
Flatware, Steel and Sustainable Surfaces
1. Bambu Flatware Set & Bambu Dinner Plates: Why use plastic cutlery when you can enjoy flatware made from a renewable resource like certified organic bamboo? While you’re channeling your inner panda, add bamboo plates to the mix.
2. Fresco Picnic Set: Cute and convenient, this set consists of four bowls/plates, cups and a salad bowl. It comes in two color options made from bamboo fiber and is PVC-, BPA- and phthalate-free.
3. Table in a Bag: Derived from FSC-certified mahogany, this gray-finished table is as beautiful as it is practical. It can be rolled up and carried in the accompanying cotton canvas tote.
4. Summer BBQ Kit: Steal a date for two with this kit that includes stainless-steel divider serving trays, two sporks and two napkins made from 100 percent cotton. Pair them with Stainless Steel Tumblers to keep beverages chilled and waste nonexistent. These goods are dishwasher-safe, nontoxic and reusable.
Hotter Food and Cooler Totes
5. CoolBag: If picnic baskets aren’t your thing, you’ll love this cotton canvas bag. It has everything you need to pack a picnic or nosh poolside, including a combination lock to store your belongings should you wander into the sunset. It comes with convenient backpack straps when you’re ready to go hands-free. With two wine pockets on either side, CoolBag also houses a convenient six-hour zippered cooler at the bottom.
6. Hot Logic: Keeping food hot or cooking food on the spot is no longer a luxury. This insulated bag uses low-slow conduction heat to keep food at your desired temperature for hours, without overcooking or burning. Just plug into an outlet (or even your car). Available in a personal size for picnics or 9-by-13-inch for easy carrying and spill-free dishes on the go.
7. Matador Pocket Blanket: An outdoor festival or concert isn’t complete without a blanket under your feet. But most are bulky, making them a pain to tote. Meet Matador, the beach blanket that’s small enough to fit in your pocket or picnic basket.
8. Steady Stick Wine Glass Holders: There’s no need to cry over spilled wine with these wine stakes made from pure steel.
9. Vessel Wine Bag: These insulated bags are ideal for carrying wine to and fro without breakage. The cruelty-free design is made with faux leather and neoprene. Plus, with every purchase, Vessel gives a school backpack to a child in need.
10. Bugs Be Gone: Derived from yarrow, sage and essential oils, this spray is safe enough to go on skin, with zero nasty chemicals, DEET or citronella. Also try Stay Away Ants from EarthKind. These small scented pouches include an essential oil blend of lemongrass, peppermint and thyme to attack ants’ olfactory receptors. Both will keep the bugs away so you can picnic in peace!
Latest posts by Lisa Beres (see all)
- Perk Up Your Workout with a Recycled Coffee Grounds Sports Bra - July 24, 2017
- The 4 Things You MUST Test for in Your Home Right Now - July 14, 2017
- 10 Products to Green Your Picnic - June 9, 2017