One of the first things your parents teach you as a child is how to properly care for your teeth, mouth, and gums. Sure, regular brushing and flossing is critical to how clean and bright your teeth are, but did you know there’s actually a lot more you can do? In fact, there are ways you can naturally care for your teeth, some of which are extremely easy and will quickly become a part of your daily oral care routine.In today’s society, there is more of an emphasis than ever placed on eco-friendly, ‘green’ practices, in all different aspects of our lives, including oral hygiene. Holistics or natural dental care is a growing industry that has a lot to offer for the general public. From bamboo toothbrushes to ‘real’ toothpaste and mouthwash, you will actually feel good about swishing around. There are tons of products out there that will help the transition to natural oral care much, much smoother.
Beyond looking for oral care products that are organic, natural, and good for the environment, here are a few additional ways you can ‘green’ your oral care routine.
- Incorporate alkaline foods into your diet. Examples include beans, fruits, and greens, all of which will work towards helping your body maintain a good pH balance.
- Rinse your mouth with warm sea salt water. Holistic oral care experts recommend that you rinse your mouth with warm sea salt water at least once a day in order to get rid of any bacteria or other unpleasant visitors. You can also add a few drops of clove or mint oil in order to freshen up your breath. This mixture is a good alternative to mouthwash, if you so desire.
- Invest in an oral irrigator to clean your gums with. Sure, dental floss has its many great benefits, but it can also contain chemicals that are harmful to your teeth and gums. This is why we recommend you clean your gums with an oral irrigator, instead of flossing.
- Make sure you are getting plenty of sleep. Sleep is one of the best things you can do for your oral care, and overall wellness. By making sure you are getting plenty of sleep and exercising daily, you will have a much better chance of warding off whole body inflammation or infections of any kind.
- Look for a holistic dentist in your area. If you have fillings, implants, or other oral hardware, it may be a good idea to look for a holistic dentist to care for them. Mercury fillings, for example, can be extremely unsafe and cause numerous different illnesses and even infection.
- Purchase a tongue cleaner. A tongue cleaner (you know, those U-shaped wire devices) are one of the most important things to your overall oral hygiene. They work by scraping off any residue on your tongue, which is oftentimes full of bacteria and other unpleasantries.
- Consider a probiotic. If your tongue is constantly covered in a white film, you may want to consider taking a probiotic in order to control internal yeast.
- Make sure your toothpaste is free of fluoride. Look for a natural and organic toothpaste that is both free of fluoride and sodium lauryl sulfate. Both of these things can be quite damaging to your teeth, gums, and mouth.
Do your mouth a favor by taking the above natural oral care tips into consideration, and be sure to check out all the awesome eco-friendly oral care products we have for sale in our online store!
Feature image courtesy of MIKI Yoshihito
Latest posts by Earth911 (see all)
- Recycling for Profit: 5 Ways to Turn Your Trash into Cash - March 22, 2017
- A Guide to Eco-Living in a Concrete Jungle - March 1, 2017
- Infographic: The World’s Greenest Countries - February 15, 2017