Frizzy hair, dry skin and chapped lips are just a few of the joys of winter. But why spend big bucks on chemical-laden beauty fixes when you can whip up your own using all-natural ingredients? Check out these five beauty cures that you can make yourself, and show Old Man Winter who’s boss.
1. The Problem: Dry, Itchy Skin
Indoor heat and chilly outdoor temperatures can leave your skin rough, dry and itchy. Most of us reach for that bottle of lotion to cure this common winter woe. But the ingredients list on most brand-name lotions usually reads like a science experiment. Go back to basics with an all-natural fix that will quench your skin without chemical additives.
DIY Fix: Soothing Beeswax Body Lotion
What you’ll need: Avocado oil, grape seed oil or jojoba oil, beeswax pellets, water, aloe vera gel and the essential oil of your choice.
How to make it:
1. Start by melting three tablespoons of cosmetic-grade beeswax pellets – which you can find for less than $5 at a local health food store. For best results, put your pellets into a glass bowl, and place the bowl over a pot of boiling water until pellets are melted.
2. Gradually stir in 1 cup of the oil of your choice. Jojoba oil works great for sensitive skin or skin that is prone to breakouts, while avocado and grape seed oil soothe extra-dry skin. All can be found at your local health food store on the cheap.
3. Remove the mixture from heat, and stir in 4 tablespoons of aloe vera gel. If you have an aloe plant at home, just squeeze some gel out of an aloe leaf, or purchase pure aloe vera gel from your local natural foods store.
4. Use a hand blender or whisk to whip your lotion. Slowly add five tablespoons of water and continue to whip. The mixture should begin to thicken and resemble store-bought lotion. Add a few drops of essential oil , and mix some more.
5. Allow your lotion to set for at least 20 minutes before using, and store in a glass mason jar for up to two weeks.