Do you maintain data for recycle schedule?  

RSS

connecttechfocus
(@connecttechfocus)
14/08/2018 12:21 pm  

Let me apologize in advance if I am asking a question in this forum which I should not. I like to know if you maintain any data for local recycle schedule ( for the town or municipality). I am thinking about creating an app which will help people to check their town's schedule based on location. 

ReplyQuote
Mitch Ratcliffe
(@mratcliffe)
Member Admin
18/08/2018 3:32 pm  

Hi, this is a great idea and a challenging one. We don't track the schedules of pickup services, but we do have information about what goes in the curbside bin by location. The challenge you face is mapping the hauler's schedule to the user's address. Haulers have fixed routes they have to file with the municipality (in many, but not all cases), but that level of detail is subject to frequent changes.

Mitch Ratcliffe
Earth911.com

ReplyQuote
connecttechfocus
(@connecttechfocus)
15/09/2018 9:27 am  

Thanks Mitch ! I thought further on this and as you indicated, it will be indeed very complicated data structure to capture details on individual town and curbside details. But I am not giving up yet. Thinking about to start with something and evolve it in time. If you don't mind I will come back here if I need some guidance or assistance. 

Thanks,

Mithun

ReplyQuote
Mitch Ratcliffe
(@mratcliffe)
Member Admin
15/09/2018 12:34 pm  

We do not track pickup schedules because they change frequently. Our database does track what material curbside programs accept, and that information has begun to change due to the Chinese waste import limits announced late last year.

Mitch Ratcliffe
Earth911.com

ReplyQuote
connecttechfocus
(@connecttechfocus)
15/09/2018 5:25 pm  

Thanks again Mitch! Do you have APIs which I can call to get data about curbside recycle materials? Or any other source ? 

ReplyQuote
Mitch Ratcliffe
(@mratcliffe)
Member Admin
16/09/2018 12:10 pm  

We have an API:  http://api.earth911.com/  

It's free for non-commercial use. What are you thinking about? We may be working toward similar goals and be able to collaborate.

Mitch Ratcliffe
Earth911.com

ReplyQuote
connecttechfocus
(@connecttechfocus)
16/09/2018 6:26 pm  

I am thinking about presenting the data to users through amazon alexa skill. I researched and there are already few alexa skills which inform users about recyclable materials but they are mostly generic not based on zip or location. 

ReplyQuote
Mitch Ratcliffe
(@mratcliffe)
Member Admin
17/09/2018 9:29 am  

We did some investigations into Alexa integration earlier this year. Basic integration is straightforward but we had challenges with implementing location-based responses. 

Mitch Ratcliffe
Earth911.com

ReplyQuote
connecttechfocus
(@connecttechfocus)
17/09/2018 12:03 pm  

Would you mind sharing some more information on the challenges you faced? If you want I would like to collaborate with you on this. 

ReplyQuote
Mitch Ratcliffe
(@mratcliffe)
Member Admin
17/09/2018 12:25 pm  

Let's talk via email: mitchratcliffe@earth911.com.

Main problem: Alexa devices don't know exactly where they are in many cases.

Secondary problem: Constructing a query from the voice input.

Mitch Ratcliffe
Earth911.com

ReplyQuote
dJonas25
(@djonas25)
16/10/2018 10:18 pm  

I'm curious about this project. It would be a good help if this will materialize.

ReplyQuote
Mitch Ratcliffe
(@mratcliffe)
Member Admin
17/10/2018 1:07 pm  

What would be the best way to help you help? The API is public (api.earth911.com) and I'm happy to share ideas here or in email.

-Mitch

Mitch Ratcliffe
Earth911.com

ReplyQuote
Mitch Ratcliffe
(@mratcliffe)
Member Admin
17/10/2018 1:07 pm  

What would be the best way to help you help? The API is public (api.earth911.com) and I'm happy to share ideas here or in email.

-Mitch

Mitch Ratcliffe
Earth911.com

ReplyQuote
Share: