Hurricane Debris Recycling...How many are properly doing it and can everyone try to get the word out....  

RSS

Caslens
(@caslens)
12/10/2018 11:28 pm  

I found this information ( https://earth911.com/business-policy/hurricane-cleanup/ ) very interesting on earth911 when I was wondering what happened to all the waste and debris in Florida and elsewhere and I did a web search. After reading I then was wondering if anyone is making an attempt to notify the public that they really should make an effort to separate the debris the best they can for the sake of our planet. All the hours of watching the weather channel and not one mention of separating debris. All the time watching world news and not one mention. Are the individual towns notifying the residents? I doubt; but someone definitely should. And if word spreads and they do separate; will the towns pick up the waste separately or will they pick up the debris all together with their heavy equipment and the effort will be all-for-not? What can you do or suggest? Can you help make a difference?

ReplyQuote
Mitch Ratcliffe
(@mratcliffe)
Member Admin
13/10/2018 12:10 pm  

You make an excellent point. In times of crisis, the system is so disrupted that separating materials is forgotten. We need to plan ahead, most likely inside FEMA, to ensure that wood, plastics, glass, and hazardous materials are handled separately.

Another way to approach it is to set up a non-profit that goes in to recycle disaster debris. That approach would need to focus on moving money to local haulers who would commit to handle the debris responsibly.

Mitch Ratcliffe
Earth911.com

ReplyQuote
dJonas25
(@djonas25)
16/10/2018 12:55 am  

There should be more effort like this to manage the debris better. It will be a longer process but is necessary so some of the waste will turn out useful while other wouldn't harm the environment.

ReplyQuote
Mitch Ratcliffe
(@mratcliffe)
Member Admin
16/10/2018 12:28 pm  

Perhaps the Red Cross would take this on or, at least, help provide the logistical coordination for volunteers to gather recyclables.

Mitch Ratcliffe
Earth911.com

ReplyQuote
Share: