Notifications
Clear all

looking for place to recycle wiring insulation  

RSS

AW Recycling
(@aw-recycling)
New Member Registered
27/02/2020 7:47 pm  

I run a copper granulator to strip electrical wire and recycle the copper. My by product is the plastic insulation. It is chopped up into little pieces. It's various types of plastic and color depending on wire type and manufacture with no way to separate it.  I am trying to keep this out of the landfill. I have tried a couple plastic recycling places with no luck and one of them sent me here.  Any help would be appreciated.  I posted a link so you can see what they look like.  The plastic is on the right side.

Thanks  

plastic granules

Mitch Ratcliffe
(@mratcliffe)
Member Admin
27/02/2020 8:15 pm  

AW REcycling, thanks for asking!

The plastic bits are PVC, which is recyclable, but not widely recycled. So, the challenge is to find a company that wants PVC for its own use or a program that will take the material. Terracycle has a garage waste box that you can buy in various sizes, including a pallet size: https://www.terracycle.com/en-US/zero_waste_boxes/garage-separation

But Terracycle's program carries a cost. A company that uses PVC in its products may be a better way to go with the volume of material you produce. Take a look at AIL Soundwalls, which uses PVC in its 100% recycled products. They may accept your plastic insulation at no cost or even pay you for it in volume -- they may also connect you to one of their suppliers.

We hope that helps.

Mitch Ratcliffe
Earth911.com

ReplyQuote
Share: