The holidays are rapidly approaching and that means reflection, celebration and entertaining. Now, holiday entertaining may sound daunting but it doesn’t have to be – nor does it have to be wasteful.
Here are a few eco-friendly options to consider this holiday season, all of which are available at the Earth911 Store.
1) Entertaining means drinks – a sometimes lots of them. Why not protect your furniture from the get-go with the funky cork coaster set from Corkology. Made from recycled cork, they are great for protecting your furniture from unsightly drink rings!
2) When it comes to food prep, Corkology also has your surfaces covered. Made from recycled cork, the Corkology cutting board is perfect for food prep.
3) Fruits and veggies are always a safe bet when entertaining. The Honest Company’s Fruit & Veggie Wash
safely cleans fruits and vegetables to remove bacteria with a chemical free mix. Reminder – look for organic fruits and vegetables when buying. Better yet, grow your own garden. We’ve got a bunch of pointers on gardening.
4) Washing fruits and vegetables is always best practice and this ring vegetable brush makes the job done greener – crafted from eco-friendly bamboo. The bamboo is also finished with natural oils to withstand water. It’s comfortable to hold, tough on dirt, and can even double as a nail brush!
5) If your entertaining has you offering more than just finger foods, Ecolution’s Eco-friendly Cookware
is and made without PFOA, which means it’s safer for you and your guests. Its silicone handle always keeps cool, and its dishwasher Safe.
6) Baking this holiday? You’ll want to consider these If You Care Baking sheets. If You Care Baking Paper Sheets are made from recycled unbleached greaseproof paper and are pre cut for your convenience. The sheets are coated with silicone a natural and eco-friendly product instead of quilon which contains chromium a heavy metal that can be harmful to humans. This product is chlorine free, non-toxic and beneficial for the environment due to the recycled materials.
7) In a rut? Mix up your holiday entertaining with Preserve Nested Mixing Bowls
by Preserve. Each bowl is made from recycled yogurt cups and other #5 plastics collected through Preserve’s ‘Gimme 5’ collection program with Whole Foods Market.
8) Let’s face it – sometimes entertaining gets messy. In a pinch, why not clean up with reusable kitchen towels by UnPaper. These are a great eco-friendly alternative to wasteful single-use paper towels. Machine washable, they include snaps for convenient traditional upright rolls like paper towels. Each half set contains 6 individual towels, that snap together to form a roll of towels. Each towel measures approx. 10 inches wide by 11 inches tall, making them about the same size as a paper towel. Towels are backed with 100% cotton terry cloth making them super soft and very absorbent (think wash cloth). These reusable towels are machine washable, and can be dried as well.
9) The party just got chic with this eco-friendly glass tray serving dish made from a real wine bottle. Creative material reuse? We’ll drink to that! Each serving dish, which makes a great gift option as well, comes with one spreader.
10) Preserve’s ‘Gimme 5’ collection program recycles yogurt cups and other #5 plastics into new products – products like their everyday Preserve Everyday 9-1/2-Inch Plates, Set of 4, Midnight Blue Party on!
11) Looking to brighten up the festivities? You’ll want to check out this unscented candle upcycled from a Stella Artois beer bottle – an interesting conversation piece (and a great hostess gift too)! Each bottle is carefully sorted, sanitized, washed & dried, cut by hand, sanded by hand, wash & dried again, then hand poured with unscented and undyed pure non-GMO soy wax. Unscented candles are preferred for dining and for people who have scent allergies. Soy wax is clean burning and does not produce black soot and harmful chemical vapors like paraffin wax candles do.
12) Kids need to entertained too, right? Well if you’re holiday entertaining has little ones on the guest list, you’ll want to consider these
recycled plastic tableware pieces by Replay. Made from recycled milk jugs, dishwasher safe and very durable this eco-friendly tableware has been tested by real Earth911 (team) kiddos.
Everyone hopefully had a great time. Now what? You guessed it, time to clean up and we’ve got two eco-friendly options for you.
13) Unfortunately, those dirty dishes aren’t going to clean themselves. Biodegradable and naturally-derived, Mrs. Meyer’s Liquid Dish Soap
is a concentrated formula ideal for both hand washing and dishes. This super-sustainable soap is made with Soap Bark Extract – one of nature’s best degreasers.
14) Leftover food? Wrap it up with this aluminum foil by If You Care which is made from. If You Care Aluminum Foil is made with and packaged in 100% recycled materials. The foil is made from 100% recycled aluminum and the packaging is made from 100% recycled cardboard and 100% unbleached paper. This product performs on par to traditional aluminum foil but uses 95% less energy while staying non-toxic and chlorine free.
15) These eco-friendly fire starters are a chemical free alternative for backyard barbeques and fire pits, lighting an indoor fireplace, camping, and grilling. Made from pure dye free and unscented soy wax and unbrewed coffee grounds, these fire starters light instantly and burn for about 20 minutes without the use of kindling. Simply light the wick, sit back and relax knowing your not harmful emitting chemicals into air!
And there you have it, entertaining just got less wasteful.
What are your holiday entertaining plans this year? Share your party plans and comments below!
Feature image courtesy of Stacy