This time of year is prime time for chapped lips – you know those dried-out kissers just dying to be smothered in moisture. As we see it, you really have three choices.
- First, you could just leave them be (but honestly who really wants to be the one with white dry flaky lips?)
- You could opt for one of those little capped, plastic tubes sitting lonely with all the other goodies in the check out line
- You could uncap your creativity and create this simple DIY lip balm at home. No waiting in line or chilly sprints back to the car required.
DIY Lip Balm
As we illustrate in this episode of Earth911TV, this simple DIY lip balm is crafted from four natural ingredients.
When finished, you’ll be putting this finished balm into a container of your choice. As you’ll see in the video, we repurposed a small empty tin. You could also very easily put this into a small glass jar or other small container.
TIP – Don’t forget that you’ll be pouring a warm/hot mixture so be sure your container of choice will accommodate that temperature temporarily.
The instructions are as simple as the ingredient list.
- Place the Beeswax, Shea Butter and Coconut Oil into a glass bowl and heat in the microwave for 2-3 minutes (on high). You’ll want to pause the heating every 30 seconds for a quick stir.
- Add 15-20 drops of Peppermint Essential Oil to the mixture and stir.
- (Carefully) pour the mixture into your container of choice.
- Let sit for 1 hour to cool and congeal.
No longer will your lips cry out for TLC. And the best part, you know exactly what you are putting on your skin.
Pucker up Earthlings!
Also, don’t forget to check out all of our other DIY ideas aimed at reducing waste and increasing savings.
For great ideas on recycling check out the following articles and guides:
- Earth911 Recycling Guides
- Browse all articles on recycling
- Find out where to recycle stuff in your area
- Green Building? See For Yourself
- What Not To Put In The Blue Bin
- All You Need To Know About Composting