Millions of plastic milk jugs are thrown away each year. Most plastic milk containers are made from high-density polyethylene, also known as HDPE or No. 2 plastic. This means that milk jugs are recyclable, and most curbside recycling programs accept them.
Plastic milk jugs can be melted down and made into new bottles. However, no milk jugs in the United States are manufactured from recycled material. This sad fact is due to safety concerns over chemical and bacterial contamination as well as strict FDA guidelines for food packaging manufactured from secondhand sources.
When they’re reclaimed, plastic milk bottles are typically turned into recycling containers, pens, lumber, picnic tables, fencing, benches, detergent bottles, toothbrushes and children’s toys. But according to a report from the Environmental Protection Agency, only 28.9% of these plastic jugs end up in the recycling bin. The remaining 71.1% may spend 500 years or more decomposing in landfills.
We can’t let that happen! Recycling your milk jugs is a great option, but reusing them is an even better choice. There are so many creative ways to reuse plastic milk jugs in your daily life.
Check out the 20 creative ways to reuse plastic milk jugs:
Around the Home and Garden
- Reusing plastic milk jugs around the home is one of the best uses. You can use them in your home to make a Sewing Room Fabric Scrap Storage system or a Sandwich or Snack Container.
- In your garden, you can use them to make Wall Planters, a Watering Jug or a Milk Jug Birdfeeder.
- If you need some extra lighting, check out these Milk Jug Flower Lights, this Outdoor Chandelier and this Rose Solar Light.
Kids love upcycling crafts! There are so many different crafts kids can make with plastic milk jugs.
- Take it outdoors and help them make Milk Jug Flowers or a Milk Jug Bubble Wand.
- Inspire their creative side with a Milk Jug Igloo or these Fairy Houses and Doll Fairy Wings.
- Teach them to save money with this Pig-gy Bank or decorate the house with this Milk Jug Decorative Window Craft.
Do you have any creative ways you reuse plastic milk jugs?
Feature image courtesy of Eighteen25