How many T-shirts are in your drawers? It’s estimated that over 2 billion T-shirts are sold each year. T-shirts are a wardrobe staple for many people, but what happens to them when they don’t get worn any longer? You could always donate them to a thrift store, but their T-shirt shelves are overflowing and there isn’t much demand for used T-shirts. If you are a craft person, there are hundreds of fun upcycling projects that use T-shirts.
The following are just a few of my favorite ways to upcycle T-shirts.
1. This cozy T-shirt shag rug from Instructables.
2. These very hip T-shirt baby bibs by A Little Tipsy.
3. A cuddly manaTEE from We Lived Happily Ever After.
4. Super affordable T-shirt cloth diapers by Dirty Diaper Laundry.
5. Reusable T-shirt menstrual pads by Put A Cup In It.
6. This useful T-shirt braided keychain from Crafts by Amanda.
7. These decorative T-shirt pom poms by Craftaholics Anonymous.
8. This stylish braided infinity scarf from Max & Me Designs.
9. This precious five-strand braided T-shirt headband by Make It & Love It.
10. This very colorful crocheted T-shirt rug by Cauda Design.
11. This handy no-sew T-shirt tote bag by Mommypotamus.
The hardest part will be deciding exactly which T-shirts to upcycle first!
Do you have some good projects for upcycling T-shirts you’d like to share? Post them!
Editor’s note: Originally published on September 3, 2015, this article was updated in February 2020.