While we should respect our planet every day, Earth Day is the one day a year that everyone can step back and give thanks for everything it provides for us. People commemorate Earth Day in many ways. Some of the more common ways include planting a tree, not using electronics, enjoying a hike or implementing a new green practice in their home.
A way to make Earth Day more fun is to get crafty. There are so many crafts that you can do to celebrate our wonderful planet. It’s a great time to look around and see if you have any items to repurpose into something new.
If you need some creative inspiration for your Earth Day craft plans, check out this list of 15 eco-friendly crafts using items you may have around the house right now!
- Have some old beverage bottles lying around? Give this Super Easy Recycled Beverage Bottle Planter from Organized 31 a try.
- Are you a coffee drinker? You should repurpose those old cans into a DIY Hanging Coffee Can Planters like Kicking it with Kelly.
- Most people have some old magazines lying around. If not, you can pick them up cheap at thrift stores. Aren’t these Easy Magazine Flowers from Organized 31 so fun?
- What do you do with shredded paper? Did you know you can make Recycled Paper out of it? Carolyn’s Home Work shows you how.
- Old maps can be so neat. Turn your favorite one into a Vintage Map Tray with this tutorial from The Country Chic Cottage.
- You can usually get silverware cheap at second-hand stores, or if you’re upgrading your silverware, you can re-purpose it rather than tossing it out. These Silverware Flowers from Salvage Gallery would make a great upcycled craft.
- Looking to give that used lightbulb another life? Try making a DIY Lightbulb Planter like the one from DIY Ready.
- Broken dishes? No problem. Turn them into something pretty like these DIY Mosaic Garden Stones from Over the Big Moon.
- Next time you forget your reusable bags at the grocery store, ask for paper, not plastic. Then give this Recycled Grocery Bag Book from Carolyn’s Home Work a try.
- You can never have too many reusable bags! You can even make your own like this Baggu-Style Reusable Bag Tutorial from Mabey She Made It.
- Kids love crafts using old cardboard tubes, but adults can craft with them too! Aren’t these Cardboard Tube Polka Dot Tulips from Crafts by Amanda adorable?
- You can make your very own DIY Solar Night Lights with Vintage Mason Jar Appeal for just a few dollars! Happy Mothering has a great tutorial to inspire you.
- If you live near the ocean, you’ve probably picked up sea glass at some time or another. This Sea Glass Mason Jar from The Country Chic Cottage would be a great way to use it.
- What happens when you lose a few game pieces? Instead of tossing out the board, next time make a Repurposed Game Board Jewelry Box like the one from Planet Forward.
- Another way to re-use old game pieces is to make DIY Upcycled Dominos. Visit Organized 31 to learn how.
How do you celebrate Earth Day each year? Have another upcycled craft idea you’d like to share? We’d love to hear your thoughts. Share your comments below.
Feature image courtesy of PINKÉ