Vegan slow cooker meals have a positive one-two punch on the environment.
Meatless meals dramatically reduce the amount of water used for the production of meal ingredients, since one pound of beef uses about 1,850 gallons of water for production, compared to 39 gallons to produce a pound of vegetables.
Slow cookers use less energy, too, saving electricity. Don’t forget to factor in the savings of your precious time, too, which can be a rare commodity!
With a set-it-and-forget-it attitude, slow cooker meals let you spend just minutes on meal prep for a healthy and hearty hot meal that’s ready when you are.
Not just for dinner, try out these vegan slow cooker recipes for hearty dining any time of the day:
- While most slow cooker recipes tend to be for meals meant to be ladled into a bowl, individual servings of artfully prepared peppers are possible with this Slow Cooker Quinoa and Black Bean Stuffed Peppers recipe from 365 Days of Slow Cooking.
- Bread in a slow cooker? Yep, it’s possible! Check out this Vegan Herb Pound Cake recipe from ifood.tv for a quick bread that can be altered with a variety of herbs to suit your taste.
- This Italian favorite can be done in a slow cooker, if you don’t mind more of a casserole look rather than squares of pasta. The Slow Cooker Vegetable Lasagna from Vegan Mother Hubbard uses tofu, plenty of veggies and marinara sauce for a satisfying meal.
- Butternut squash and coconut milk come together with beans and a variety of produce to create a savory chili with an unexpected flavor. Traditional favorites such as chili powder, cumin and tomato paste are part of this Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Coconut Chili recipe from The Fig Tree.
- Save plenty of time on meal prep when you get both chili and cornbread prepared all at once in this Slow Cooker Bean and Cornbread Casserole recipe from the That Was Vegan? blog.
- A simple side dish is created with this Unsweetened Crock Pot Applesauce from Eat Drink Better.
- Want a hot breakfast waiting for you when you wake up in the morning? This Overnight Maple and Brown Sugar Oatmeal from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe combines the classic flavors of steel cut oats, maple syrup and cinnamon for a breakfast that will fuel you for the day.
- Whether you’re making a hot appetizer dip or want a fun meal, this Slow Cooker Salsa Corn Dip from Meals Full of Color uses tofutti cream cheese and Daiya cheddar to create a cheesy texture perfectly paired with tortilla chips.
- A cup of bourbon is the key to the rich and hearty Bourbon Maple Slow Cooker Baked Beans from Averie Cooks. No trace of alcohol will be left after the lengthy cook time, but you will be rewarded with sweet and tangy baked beans that will stick to your ribs.
- The Curried Vegetable and Chickpea Stew from thekitchn is full of warming flavors such as cayenne pepper, curry powder and fresh ginger.
Feature image courtesy of Howard Walfish