Few things delight me more than a good upcycle. Why? Upcycled crafts not only feed my creative soul, but they also help us care for the planet by preventing waste. This simple kitchen upcyle is a two-for-one way to be green. You’ll save a produce net from a landfill and also reduce your consumption of abrasive dish scrubber pads in the kitchen!
It’s always nice when doing something you love also benefits our environment. Ready to craft?
Upcycled Produce Net Dish Scrubber
- 2 produce nets (think sweet potatoes, citrus fruits, etc.)
- String or twine
1. Begin by laying the produce nets as flat as possible, one on top of the other.
2. Roll them up nice and tight, like you are rolling up a tortilla. (Now I’m hungry. Is it Taco Tuesday yet?)
3. Fold the roll over in half, bending it directly in the center.
4. Tie the twine or string at the center of the rolled and folded produce bags. Tie a knot tightly. Double knot.
5. Take your scissors and snip apart the ends of the produce bags. This will fan the bags open and create the “fluff” you want.
6. Continue to trim to even out the dish scrubber and get rid of any loose ends. Shape the scrubber with your scissors and pull apart the layers to fill it all out.
7. Tie an additional piece of string around the scrubber to create a hang tag. This way it can easily hang on your faucet to dry when not in use.
Now smile because you just did the earth a service and brightened up your kitchen in one go! While you’re at it, check out these other eco-friendly tools for washing dishes.