Laundry. The scents, suds and satisfaction knowing you have clean clothes again.
Now, there are a plethora of laundry detergents on the market today. One walk down the aisle of many retailers and the number of choices will make your head spin. But, if you’re looking for a simple DIY laundry detergent recipe that you can easily make at home and to add your laundry routine look no further than this episode of Earth911TV.
As always, thanks for watching and be sure to share this with friends and family.
DIY laundry detergent
DIY laundry detergent ingredients:
- 1 cup washing soda
- 1 cup borax
- 1 bar of soap (Fels-Naptha or Castile bar soap are popular options)
- Several drops essential oil (optional)
DIY laundry detergent instructions:
- Finely grate 1 bar of soap by hand with a box grater or in a food processor. If you want an unscented laundry detergent, use unscented bar soap.
- Add the bar soap, washing soda, borax, and essential oil (if desired) into a mixing bowl and stir.
- Put the mixture into a sealed container.
Use 1 to 2 tablespoons per load of laundry as the water is filling the washing machine.
* Note: This detergent can be used in both standard and HE washing machines.
To check out the inspiration for this recipe and other natural cleaning recipes, check out Germs Gone Wild: 4 Natural Cleaning Recipes To Drive Away Dirt.
For other natural laundry tips you’ll want to check out 3 Natural Laundry Practices That Will Clean Your (Eco) Conscience Too. Not only does it include tips and pointers but it also includes a variation of the recipe above.
Making simple switches in your laundry routine can have a marked effect on your environmental impact, and your wallet.