If you’re working on your holiday shopping list, we’re delighted to assist. We’re offering ideas for whimsical, practical, and yummy gifts for women.
And naturally, these presents feature an earth-friendly twist.
For Your Friend With a Sense of Humor
Elephant poop from Sri Lanka is upcycled into lovely notebooks that we think are perfect gifts. Mr. Ellie Pooh paper products are made with 30% fiber from elephant dung and 70% recycled paper, explains Karl Wald, owner of Mr. Ellie Pooh.
He says the firm emphasizes fair trade practices working with artisans and paper-makers in Sri Lanka.
Wald describes the paper as offering an interesting texture that works well for writing, sketching, painting, stamping, and scrapbooking.
For the Nature Enthusiast
For women who enjoy watching wildlife, especially while relaxing on their porches, a bird bath is a nice addition to an outdoor space. National Wildlife Federation sells this mini bird bath that may be just the right gift for a bird-loving gal. The frame is cedar and the bath is easy-to-clean plastic.
For Women Who Prefer Functional Gifts
Reusable lunch boxes are perfect for women who appreciate functional gifts. She’ll take them to the office, on picnics, and when traveling. ECOlunchbox offers a selection of all stainless steel lunch boxes plus some stainless and silicone versions. They’re available on Amazon — including the three-in-one bento box pictured above — and on the ECOlunchbox website.
Other ideas for practical gifts for women:
- Rain barrels capture rain for washing vehicles, watering lawns, or other non-potable/non-edible uses. Styles and shapes vary, from this sleek design to this repurposed food-grade barrel.
- Shatterproof stainless steel wine tumblers offer an earth-friendlier alternative to disposables.
- This humane insect catcher is a handy hand-held device for removing bugs from your house and releasing them outdoors.
For the Fashionista
7PLIS on Etsy offers assorted handmade sunglasses decoratively framed with wood from recycled skateboards. How’s that for a fashion statement? And they’re practical; the lenses offer 100% UV protection.
Other ideas for fashion-related gifts for women:
- Red origami crane earrings handmade with recycled wallpaper
- License plate purses handmade from upcycled U.S. license plates
- Elegant dangle earrings formed with upcycled flip flops
- Animal T-shirts made from 70% organic bamboo and 30% organic cotton — your purchase supports conservation nonprofit World Wildlife Fund. Designs include a whale, elephant, zebra, sea turtle, giraffe, and more.
- Handmade stainless steel spoon rings from Dremeworks on Etsy
For Almost Any Woman
Gifts of sweets. Especially chocolate. This is a winner for most women. Your daughter. Your sweetie. Your bestie. Your boss. Yourself!
We recommend you purchase brands that support environmental responsibility and fair labor practices, such as Equal Exchange. The Equal Exchange variety pack includes enticing flavors such as organic dark chocolate mint crunch, organic dark chocolate orange, and organic dark chocolate lemon ginger with black pepper. We suggest that you purchase a few, including some as a gift to yourself.
This article contains affiliate links that help fund our Recycling Directory, the most comprehensive in North America. Originally published on December 11, 2019, this article was updated in December 2021.