Transforming your body care products from harmful to homemade doesn’t need to cost a fortune or take hours of your time.
These four simple natural skin care recipes are made of of ingredients easily found in most pantries, and they will readily replace your favorite store-bought products.
You’ll never miss their questionable ingredients, harmful chemical compounds, or plastic containers – promise!
Coconut oil eye makeup remover
A pea-sized dollop of coconut oil is all you need to remove eye makeup at the end of a long day. Simply warm it in the palm of your hands and then gently apply to the eye area with your fingertips. Massage it in and wipe off with a soft cloth.
Simple face scrub
Unassuming superstars baking soda and water join forces to create a softly exfoliating scrub for smooth, dewy skin.
- Mix 1 Tbsp baking soda with a little warm water to create a paste, and gently massage into the skin of your face, avoiding the delicate skin around the eyes.
- Rinse with warm water and pat dry with a soft towel.
Just trust me on this one, OK?
- Shampoo: Mix 1 Tbsp baking soda with 1 cup warm water. Pour through wet hair and massage into the scalp. Rinse well.
- Conditioner: Mix 1-2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar or lemon juice with 1 cup warm water. Pour through hair, and leave to set for a few minutes. Rinse well.
I am well aware of how bizarre this recipe sounds, but suspend your disbelief and just try it, OK?
(Note: If you live in an area with hard water you may need to boil the water for a few minutes before mixing the solutions in order to remove excess mineral content. I do it, and it’s not nearly as onerous as it sounds.)
This homemade body lotion recipe comes from Annalea Magana, and at a whopping three ingredients, is the most complicated of the bunch. Who knew you could create a rich, creamy lotion with just olive oil, water, beeswax, and a blender?
Here’s how you do:
- Grate 3 Tbsp of beeswax, and combine it with 3/4 cup olive oil in a small saucepan. Heat over medium-low heat until the beeswax dissolves.
- Add 1 cup of water to a blender, turn it on to a medium setting and then slowly add the olive oil/beeswax mix. Adding oil to water excruciatingly slowly allows it to emulsify and thicken into a rich lotion you will love.
- Transfer the lotion into a sterile glass jar, and stir in any essential oils you would like to add for fragrance.
This lotion is fantastic for dry winter skin, and keeps for about 3 months.
Sometimes we over complicate things by relying on store bought potions loaded with mystery ingredients when everything we need to get soft skin, shiny hair, and radiant complexions is right within arms reach.
Happy creating, fellow hippies!
Feature image courtesy of Pimthida