Halloween is the perfect opportunity to be creepy, crafty, and most of all, creative. Take a few moments to rekindle your childhood love affair with the humble cardboard box by taking a look at these eight inspired Halloween cardboard costumes.
1. Let’s start off with the overachievers. This Halloween cardboard costume has been making the rounds lately, and for good reason. Would you look at this masterpiece? Dozens of individual cardboard pieces form the bodice and scales of this cute sea creature, each painted in watercolour before being attached with string. Nothing you can’t manage to whip up in a few minutes after the kids are in bed, hmm?
2. Anyone under 25 probably has no idea what this Halloween cardboard costume is supposed to be. Everyone else just got a flashback to their rich uncle who used to parade his newfangled mobile phone around like he was a god, sent from the future. And he was.
Create this beautiful costume for yourself and you can expect to be awash in misty-eyed 90’s nostalgia all night long.
3. Can we talk about the cuteness of this Halloween cardboard robot? This is possibly the cutest robot to ever robot. Typically I’m not a huge fan of costumes that are modified simply to advertise the gender of the wearer (since when do female police officers wear garter belts?) but a baby robot in a tutu just blows all of that sociological mumbo-jumbo right out of the water.
So simple, and so good.
4. The picture shows this Halloween cardboard costume being worn by two adorable little boys, but crafting a cardboard airplane get-up is perfect for Halloween enthusiasts of all ages. I mean the potential for sound effects alone…
5. I am always a sucker for a good couples costume, and dressing up as Mr. and Ms. Pacman is easy, effortlessly retro, and also seems quite comfortable, comparatively speaking. Halloween Cardboard costume? Check.
6. You will never make this. Nor will I. But we could! And out of cardboard!
7. Of course you could always literally think outside the box.
8. And last but not least, the best Halloween costume ever – but is it real? This comic is the only visual I can offer you, but the idea is so simple and so ingenious that someone, somewhere, needs to make it a reality if it hasn’t been done already.
Perhaps better suited for a night of trick-or-treating than a costume party, this would nonetheless be dead simple to execute with a large sheet of cardboard, some secondhand granny clothes, and a bowl of candy.
Feature image courtesy of Patrick Buechner (and Candybot 3000) Yet another super cool Halloween cardboard costume idea!