Get busy solving the food waste problem. More than 40 percent of the food produced in the United States goes to waste, uneaten and spoiled. The Earth911 team gets together for a conversation about steps that individuals can take to eliminate food waste, as well as how restaurants, grocers, and farmers, among others, can help. We also talk with Robert Lee, founder of RescuingLeftoverCuisine.org, a New York-based program that connects restaurants with food banks nearby. Rescuing Leftover Cuisine is involved in a month-long funding challenge that you can support with your online donation. We also recommend taking some time to learn about food waste from John Oliver. Although it’s an older episode, many of Oliver’s food facts have not changed, signaling the need for more effort. As always, we answer Earthling questions.
This week, we also discuss:
- Results from our recent Earthling Survey, Would you consider paying a recycling specialist to help you recycle better and haul your recyclables?
- How Does Your City Handle Food Waste?
- Food Rescue Program Fights Food Waste Intelligently
- So, You’ve Audited Your Waste, Now What? — part two of our home waste audit series
- 5 Easy Tricks to Reduce Food Waste
Listen to “Earth911 Podcast Oct, 1, 2018: Sustainability in Your Ear — The Food Waste Episode” on Spreaker.
Subscribe to the podcast in iTunes.
Follow the podcast on Spreaker, iHeartRadio, or YouTube.