When your dresser comes to the end of its life, what do you do? Why you plant a vegetable garden of course!
Instead of hauling your old dresser to the dump, give it new life as a home for a beautiful garden with this creative container gardening idea. Natural wood drawers will work much better, offer a safer material and be more durable than particle board, so keep that in mind when choosing the drawers for your garden.
Container gardening –
outinside the box
Making a container garden from upcycled dresser drawers is pretty simple. You’ll want to start with a plan. Things you’ll want to consider…
- Where will the container garden go? This will depend heavily upon what you plan to plant.
- Do the plants you want to grow thrive in full sun, partial sun or shade? Also keep in mind that the drawers lend to a very shallow growing space. Plants that can thrive with less depth include lettuce, herbs, strawberries, cucumbers, onions and radishes.
Once you know what you want to plant and where your garden will grow, it’s time to inspect your drawers.
- Are they sturdy enough? If not, reinforce them.
- Have they been treated with any sort of paint, stain or chemicals? If so, you’ll probably want to sand them down or use some sort of a liner that will act as a protective barrier.
Next, you’ll need to drill holes in the bottom of your drawers so moisture has somewhere to drain out. Now it’s time to fill your new dresser drawer vegetable garden with potting soil. Be sure to add some of your homemade compost to give your veggies an extra boost!
At this point, you’re finally ready to plant your seeds. Be sure to read the instructions on the seed package and properly space the seeds so your plants have room they need to thrive.
If you need more inspiration to make the dresser drawer vegetable garden of your dreams, check out these tutorials for some more ideas:
- Repurposed Dresser Makes A Fantastic Raised Garden Part 2– Home Jelly
- Dresser Drawer Recycled Garden Project – Birds and Blooms
- Dress Up Your Plants – in a Dresser! – Eclectically Vintage
- Turning a Dresser Drawer into a Planter Tutorial – The Green Divas
- DIY Garden: Dresser Drawer Raised Beds – The Hip Girl’s Guide to Homemaking
- Jeanie’s Garden Dresser Drawers – Flea Market Gardening
- Drawer Garden – An Aiming High Wife
Have you repurposed dresser drawers in your garden? Do you have any tips to share?
Feature image courtesy of mazaletel