Changing Bulbs to LED
Did you know the average household has 40 lightbulbs? When you think about changing out all those bulbs to LEDs, it’s an overwhelming thought! Especially at an average cost of $36 per bulb. That’s $1,440 to outfit your entire home!
Let’s examine the life of these bulbs:
- LED = 50,000 hours
- CFL = 10,000 hours
- Incandescent = 1,200 hours
If you take the life of a bulb and figure out the cost of electricity used over that period of time and factor in the number of bulbs you have to buy to reach 50,000 hours, you get a cost of:
- Incandescent = $353
- CFL = $90
- LED = $86
- Change out only one bulb per paycheck to make the cost less painful.
- Replace the bulbs you use the most first.
- Switch to LED as the old incandescents burn out.
You can also use new technologies — smart lights like the iLumi Bluetooth Smart LED — to give you more efficient usage and cost savings.
Recycling Guides and Help
- How to Recycle CFL Bulbs
- Earth911 Recycling Guides
- Browse all recycling articles
- Find out where to recycle stuff in your area