Taking care of the earth isn’t all fun and games, but it can be sometimes. This eco-quiz is equal parts entertaining and educational. So test your knowledge and see just how much you know — scroll past the photos to get each answer, and if a particular topic piques your interest, read more by following the “get more information” link after each question. Good luck!
1. According NASA, what percent of Planet Earth is water?
Answer: 71 percent
2. True or false: It’s acceptable to toss used automotive oil in with regular residential trash.
3. Unplugging your printer when not in use reduces energy waste and potentially saves about how much annually: $12, $60 or $130?
Answer: $130. Woo-hoo!
4. What pointy plant with a reptilian name is valuable for improving indoor air quality and adding oxygen while reducing formaldehyde, smog and trichloroethylene?
Answer: Snake plant
5. IKEA announced in October 2017 a national recycling program for what product?
6. If Bubble Wrap isn’t accepted in your residential recycling program, what is an easily accessible possible drop-off point?
Answer: Supermarkets or other stores with recycling bins for plastic bags
7. What date is recognized as Earth Day in the United States and other parts of the world?
Answer: April 22
8. Another annual event in April, also popular with eco-enthusiasts, focuses on the role trees play in the environment. What is the name of that day?
Answer: Arbor Day
9. Patagonia produces some of its apparel using a polyester fabric that includes what upcycled items?
Answer: Plastic bottles
10. While different rules apply based on where you live, which of the following are usually not appropriate for residential recycling pickup: hoses, beverage cans, food boxes, boxes with food residue, bowling balls or cardboard?
Answer: Hoses, boxes with food residue, bowling balls
11. How many trees does recycling a ton of paper save: 6, 17 or 100?
12. True or false: These items are often accepted with regular paper recycling: envelopes with windows, books, paper bags.
13. In a pinch, what square plastic item from food packaging sometimes works as quick fix for a torn flip-flop?
Answer: Bread-bag clip
14. Within 10, what is the number of National Forests in the United States?
Answer: 154 (144 to 164 accepted)
15. Kerala, an ecotourism destination with palm-tree-lined beaches, forest, national parks and wildlife sanctuaries, is in what Asian nation?
16. According to data from the Solar Energy Industries Association, which of these Fortune 500 firms was the top solar user based on its 2016 report: Target, IKEA or Walmart?
17. In standard recycling symbols, a number inside a triangle on a plastic object identifies the type of plastic. How many different numbers are used in this system?
18. What is a water-efficient alternative to sprinklers for watering your yard?
Answer: Drip irrigation
19. To avoid wasting water from evaporation, what part of day is preferable for watering lawns and plants?
Answer: Early morning
20. For what product did Samsung Electronics America win the 2016 Design for Recycling Award issued by the Institute of Scrap Recycling Industries? A television, a telephone or a refrigerator?
Answer: A television
How Did You Do?
Score yourself, and savor the satisfaction of our eco-friendly, absolutely no-waste virtual recognition.
18 to 20: Eco-incredible
12 to 17: Eco-fabulous
8 to 11: Eco-enthusiastic
7 or fewer: Eco-fledgling